Monday, November 23, 2009

Speed dating Episode III

. . . I sit at the table directly in front of him and proceed to relax and enjoy the band. Several songs begin and end and I've just about forgotten where I am when someone taps me on the shoulder . . . "Would you like to dance?"

Smile
“Absolutely”
It was the cute one with a kind smile.
It worked . . . I can’t believe it . . . it worked. We start to dance and I immediately notice the smooth, Latin rhythm of his dancing. “This is great” I think to myself.
“Where are you from?”
“I’m living in South Ogden right now. Where are you from?”
“South Ogden”
NO WAY! I am dancing with a good looking man with kind eyes AND Latin rhythm who lives five minutes away from me? NO WAY!
We continue to dance. Afterward he states that he will probably ask me to dance again. My heart is happy. I then ask if I can join him at his table since I came alone. He enthusiastically agrees.
And then it starts.
We talk about what brought us here, past dating experiences and my need for touch. The band is done but the DJ begins. The DJ is set up in the courtyard below where Brigham himself is poised looking over the Salt Lake Valley. “This IS the place,” I think to myself. We dance almost every song breaking only a few times to get to know each other.


He was born and raised by his Grandparents in Layton, Utah. He has eight older Uncles and his Grandfather was a Prize Boxer in the Military. He reads my mind, “A lot of testosterone.”

We walk back to the pavilion to hopefully find a drink. There is a guy filling up two cups of water. Thank goodness there are cups left. As Joey reaches for two cups, he jumps back in disgust crying out, “ewwwww.” What is one man’s cup receptacle is indeed a garbage can. We find a drinking fountain.


His Grandmother whom he adores was a devout Catholic. Both his Grandmother and his Grandfather died in the 1980’s when he was in his early teens. He was not raised by his mother but she and his step-father along with five little brothers and two little sisters were in his life.

We dance and dance and dance. It is fantastic. I look around at all the groups of girls “making the most of it” and I am thankful that I am not one of them tonight. I got the guy. I am dancing with the one with kind eyes. It is my turn. We take a break and sit enjoying the view of the Salt Lake Valley. Out of the corner of my eye I notice fireworks lighting up the southern part of the valley. At this point of the evening I think, “Of course there are fireworks. Why wouldn’t there be fireworks.” As we watch, trying not to state the obvious, we contemplate what they are for. Maybe the Bees won or it is an end of summer celebration. Joey offers that it may be a prison riot at the point of the mountain. As we laugh I secretly think what a great story for our grandchildren.
He was baptized a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints in 2000. He had hit a low in his life and needed some guidance. On his way up the stairs to answer the doorbell in his mother’s home he crossed paths with one of his little brothers telling him, “if that’s the missionaries tell them I’m not here.” He was excited to talk to them. Although it was not the missionaries at the door his brother gave him the Book of Mormon that he had received earlier that day and Joey called them. The missionaries later told him that they had been prompted to track his mother’s house several times but were turned away every time. They did not understand until Joey called them that day. It has been a struggle since that time but he is an active, Temple worthy, Priesthood holding, Home teaching member and very thankful for the experiences of his life.


It is 10pm, time for speed dating. He looks at me and states, “I found what I came for.” We both rip off our name tags (That’s as racey as this story gets I promise) and continue to dance until 11:30. He walks me to my car after an announcement that snakes like to hide under cars. And they tell us this AFTER the prayer!? After a quick snake inspection we exchange phone numbers, a hug, a goodbye and a promise that tomorrow is NOT too soon to call.


He works for the LDS church with the Humanitarian effort. Enough said.
Driving away I can’t believe what has happened tonight, a night 32 yrs in the making. My phone goes off flashing JOEY. I answer. “I just wanted to make sure the number worked. You still on for a call tomorrow?”
ABSOLUTELY

1 comment:

  1. ahhh...what a great story! We are so happy for you! He sounds like a great guy and you definitely deserve a great guy!!

    ReplyDelete